Reading Journal #6 : Folklore


Hi everyone!!! Welcome back to my blog. Today I've my #6 assignment about Folklore, and I'm going to tell you briefly about an Indonesia legend entitled "Jaka Tarub". 


It was said that somewhere in Dadapan village there was a pond where angels who were descendants from heaven used to take a bath. Jaka Tarub was a young man who lives in a small village. One day he was hunting a deer in Dadapan village but he got nothing, while hunting a deer he heard the sound of girls laughing. He came closer to the sound and he saw seven angels from heaven were taking a bath in the pond, they were very beautiful. While angels were bathing, Jaka sneaked out and took one of the shawls lying on a rock. But when the angels finished their bath, the youngest angels lost her shawl which was stolen by Jaka, and make angels who called Nawang Wulan couldn't back to heaven. 

After Nawang Wulang left by her sisters, Jaka Tarub pretended to offer his help to search Nawang Wulan's shawl. Nawang Wulan force to accept his help and stay with Jaka Tarub. Eventually, the two fall in love and got married then they have a son. But for all the time, Jaka Tarub hides Nawang Wulan's shawl in the barn where he kept the rice. And one day Nawang Wulan accidentally saw her shawl on the barn when she wants to cook rice. Shortly after she took the shawl, she leaves Jaka Tarub with their son. But before she flew away to Khayangan she said to Jaka Tarub "Every time you and our son miss me, please just look at the moon "Wulan", I'll always be there watching both of you". Then Nawang Wulan flew away to Khayangan and Jaka Tarub feel very sad and guilty.


I like this legend because it's not only amusing but also having a deep moral value "lies no matter how hard you try to hide it, it will discovered". Then I quickly remember this legend because it reminds me of my English drama when I was in grade 8 in junior high school.

In general, Folklore is a medium to conveying our culture and it was inherited by our ancestors verbally or not. But, back again to each person that Folklore can be believed or not. And what I like about Folklore is, we can learn new knowledge about legend, myth, folktale and etc, and by read or listen to folklore we can preserve our culture.

Thank you for coming to my blog, see you on the next post !!!!
















 

Comments